Impeaching Donald Trump, Again | Weekly Update Jan 11–15, 2021
Thank you again to all of you who have reached out to my office expressing your support and concern for our safety. Whether you were at the Capitol or watching on television, the events from Wednesday were deeply disturbing. Stress reactions are normal and even expected following exposure to a traumatic event. If you are feeling anxious or distressed — know you are not alone. In Minnesota, the Department of Health has free resources available to all Minnesotans. You can call 1–888–626–4435 for support or text “MN” to the crisis line at 741741.
This week, we held Donald Trump accountable for his open sedition against our country and impeached him. The president not only incited an insurrection against our government, but has in word and deed, led a rebellion. We cannot simply move past this or turn the page. For us to be able to survive as a functioning democracy, there has to be accountability. You can watch my floor speech here.
The House voted and passed a resolution calling for Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment and assume the powers of the presidency. Every day Trump remains in office is a day the safety of the American people and the world are threatened, which is why we passed this measure in the House to do all we can to remove him from office. You can watch my video here.
I wanted to let you know about a few bills and letters I signed onto to hold this president accountable and ensure no future president replicates his criminal behavior.
- Rep. Bush’s resolution to sanction, remove lawmakers who supported insurrection
- Rep. Bowman’s COUP Act to investigate ties between white supremacists and Capitol Police
- Additional impeachment articles from Reps. Cicilline, Lieu, Waters, and Lee
- Rep. Payne’s letter calling for investigation into why Capitol Police allowed rioters to enter the Capitol, while peaceful BLM protesters were met with a militarized presence
- Rep. Tlaib’s letter calling for an inquiry into the National Guard response
- Rep. McNerney’s letter calling on DOJ to charge perpetrators
- Rep. Beyer’s letter to FBI on the role of online extremism in the insurrection
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs’ letter calling on the House to impeach
- Rep. Raskin’s 25th amendment resolution
Member of Congress